Home | Stories | News | Theaters | Drive-Ins | Profiles | The Authors | Other Books | Links
Strand Theatre - Georgetown, SC
We are very grateful to the Georgetown County Historical Society and The Georgetown County Museum staff for most of the information that appears here. If you are in Georgetown, we highly recommend a visit to the museum at 632 Prince Street.

Strand Theatre
710 Front Street
The Strand Theatre opened Monday, October 6, 1941 with "Blossoms in the Dust" starring Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon. Built by the Abrams brothers and constructed by P.W. Munneke, contractor and builder of Georgetown.

All the theatres in Georgetown closed on October 31, 1963. In January, 1964, the Strand Theatre reopened under new management.

It is currently the home of the Swamp Fox Players who provide the community with an active live theatrical season. The marquee is original. The box office was built for the movie "Made in Heaven."

Strand Theatre on the web: http://www.georgetown-sc.com/attractn/strand.htm

Palace Theatre
726 Front Street
Built in 1936, the Palace Theatre was owned by Carroll and Morris Abrams along with their brothers Sidney and Helmer. The program shown at left, provided by the Georgetown County Historical Society, is for the 1938 film "Adventures of Marco Polo" starring Gary Cooper, Basil Rathbone, and Lana Turner.

The Palace Theatre appears in a photo along with the Strand Theatre in the Winyah High School yearbook (Gator) in 1964.

Palmetto Theatre
109 King Street
The Palmetto Theatre operated from about 1920 until about 1936 as a theater for black patrons. It was built on the site of the old Farrelly stables by Mr. Hess and Mr. Carnes, two Georgetown citizens who came from Indiana. On May 15, 1936, King Oliver and Band played for a dance at the Palmetto Theatre. The balcony was reserved for white spectators. Louis Armstrong played coronet with this band at the time.

Princess Theatre
628 Front Street (1914-1916)
710 Front Street (1917-1929)
The Princess Theatre opened on May 22, 1914 under the ownership of Mr. Fritz Young, Mr. O.P. Bourke and Mr. T.W. Barfield. In November, 1914, Mr. Wilson Arnholter acquired an interest in the Princess. In August, 1915, Mr. Arnholter and Mr. L.B. Steele purchased the Princess. It was destroyed by fire in October, 1916. A newspaper reported a fire in December, 1916. It is possible there were two fires in late 1916.

The Peerless Theater at 710 Front Street closed in November, 1914 because there was not enough business to support three theatres. It was leased to two black men, Mr. J.A. Baxter and Dr. S.S. Bruington. The lease was recinded and apparently the theater at 710 Front Street was reopened on January 17, 1917 as the Princess. The 1920 edition of Kahn and Hill's Theater Guide lists E.C. Haselden as the manager.

The 1919 program at the left lists the films for the week beginning December 1.

The Princess was purchased around 1929 by the Abrams brothers who apparently changed the name back to the Peerless Theatre.

Peerless Theatre
710 Front Street
The Peerless Theatre opened on June 24, 1914 to a packed house. Built by Mr. Wilson B. Arnholter, who also owned the Air Dome Theatre. Newspaper articles are confusing on this theatre's history but it appears to have been closed shortly after opening in 1914 because Georgetown could not support three movie theatres. The Air Dome Theatre and the Princess Theatre were open at that time. When the Princess "burned to the ground" in 1916, it seems Mr. Arnholter and Mr. Steele reopened this theatre using the name from the theatre that burned, the Princess Theatre. After the Abrams brothers purchased it around 1929, they changed the name back to its original name, the Peerless Theatre.
Air Dome Theatre
718 Front Street
Opened in 1909 by Mr. D.C. Simpkins as an open-air picture show, the Air Dome Theatre consisted of a platform covered in iron. In 1910 the Air Dome was improved by closing in the top with a substantial roof to keep out the rain and damp weather.
 

Electric Theatre
810 Front Street
This was a short-lived theatre. It is likely that it closed before 1913. Mr. D.C. Simpkins, who also owned the Air Dome at the time, owned and operated the Electric Theatre.

Home | Stories | News | Theaters | Drive-Ins | Profiles | The Authors | Other Books | Links